The schooner “Shannon” was very well known in our port. She made up to 25 visits per year from when she was launched in 1880 until her final year in the port in 1925. The Shannon was built by William Brisbane Piper at Brisbane Waters, who also built ships at Pipers Bay, Forster.
She was owned by Goodlet & Smith who had a mill at Coolongolook and yards at Tuncurry, as well as mills on the south coast and a brickworks and glassworks in Sydney.
The Shannon would come up the coast laden with bricks and other goods and return with timber from the local area.
Goodlet & Smith’s agent was Mr. Walton, who had a cottage in Tuncurry where the fisherman’s co-op is today.
The Shannon was 65 tons gross and 79 ft in length. She carried a crew of five. Her permanent captain was Alex Craighead. She was the longest lived and possibly best known ship along our coast. She was finally removed from the register in 1938, a life of 58 years on the coast.
“The Shannon” entering Cape Hawke Harbour, Pilot Hill in background, Sid and Glen McLaren in foreground, c1898.
Copies of this image are available at the museum.