The Historical Society received the donation of the first Tuncurry School building in February, 1982.
The school was originally built in 1886 in Taree Street, Tuncurry (or North Forster as it was then called). There were 30 pupils and 1 teacher, Mr. Charles Snape. By 1900 there were 53 pupils, so the building was extended a further 3m. In 1924, the building was dismantled and taken by barge to the Minimbah School site where it was re-erected. After Minimbah School closed, the building was purchased by Mr. Keith Dee and transported back to his property in Tuncurry. It was moved to the museum’s grounds in 1984.
The school was painted, a concrete entrance ramp was installed and the interior was furnished with original wooden desks, blackboard and maps. Inside the building there is a display of objects including ceramic ink wells, pens and nibs, ink bottles, pupil’s writing books, School Magazines, Prime Reading Books and the piano from Coolongolook School.
In the vestibule there are many photographs of schools/staff/children from the many schools in the district.