Blast from the Past: Wharf St Forster circa 1950

Along the left side of Wharf St. looking toward Tuncurry was Emerson’s Tourist Shop, O’Briens Dress Shop, McCauley’s Estate Agency, Haden’s Garage owned by George (Buller) Haden, Lone Pine Cottage. Down the right side of the street was Tooley’s Corner Store, WB Stein’s Fish and Bait Supply, Col Haigh’s Gents Hairdresser with Olive Williams Ladies Hairdresser next door, then Henry and Gertrude Cunningham’s house, followed by Elliott’s Bakehouse owned by Fred Elliott, Russell Jamieson’s Chemist Shop, John Reid’s Paper Shop and Harry Miles’ Block. Fred and Hazel Parsons’ residence was next door to Miles’ Block then Witt’s first Butcher Shop, The Calfornia Café and last but not least, The Come Back Café. Further down Wharf Street was Charlie Blows’ residence and Hislop Electrician. 

This image, along with some other blog favourites, features in the Great Lakes Museum’s 2013 Early Links Calendar available from the Great Lakes Museum, Tuncurry Post Office and Forster/Tuncurry Tourist Information Centre. More details…

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*