Launching of passenger ferry “Alma G”- Tuncurry foreshore
During the years the Gregory brothers operated the vehicular ferry service, they saw the need for a passenger ferry as passengers had been expected to ride in the open boats that pushed the punt. Wylie Gregory commissioned Alf Jahnsen to build the passenger ferry and work commenced toward the end of the war.
The “Alma G” was launched 26thSeptember 1946 and named after Wylie’s wife, Alma Gregory. The ferry was very stylish in design, covered in except for a small deck at the rear for about one metre. With a length of 49ft, a beam of 18ft and a draft of 3ft1”, the 80 seater passenger ferry was fitted with a 4LW Gardner diesel engine.
Not only would she carry passengers from Forster to Tuncurry but did lake excursions as well which proved so popular that Wylie soon ordered a second ferry (“Alma G II”) to be built to cope with the demand.
Both ferries are still in service today the “Alma G” (pictured above) was renamed “Gymea” and then “Tom Thumb III” and is currently owned by Cronulla Ferries who run daily scenic cruises up the Port Hacking River aboard her.
This image, along with some other blog favourites, features in the Great Lakes Museum’s 2013 “Early Links” Local History Calendar available from the Great Lakes Museum, Tuncurry Post Office, and Cracker’s Barber Shop.