Last ferry run before the opening of the bridge
The ‘Monterey’ makes her last run
The re-routing of the Pacific Highway through Nabiac and Bulahdelah and the upgrading of the Lakes Way in the mid to late 1950’s improved road travel to and from the area. This brought steady increasing pressure for the bridging of the Wallamba channel.
In 1954 the Minister for Transport announced a calling for tenders for the construction of the Forster-Tuncurry Bridge. John Holland was the winning tenderer in 1956. Test piles were driven in in August 1957 with a further 364 piles being driven as the bridge took shape.
One of the longest pre-stressed concrete bridges in the southern hemisphere, the bridge spanning Cape Hawke harbour was officially opened on July 18, 1959, ending 69 years of ferry service.
The original guide piles for the ferry punt can still be seen on the south side of the Forster and Tuncurry bridge approach.